I started a 90 day reading plan of the bible through Youversion. It’s a great resource if you have internet access (or a fancy mobile phone that allows you to access such things.) I have the propensity for starting these things and not finishing them, so I want to blog my knee jerk reaction to the scripture I’m reading. Since last night, I’ve read a good chuck of Genesis, and here are my thoughts.
- After Adam and Eve ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, God provided for their need for clothing, despite the fact that their need came from disobedience. God shows his benevolence when we obviously don’t deserve it. I certainly don’t deserve anything good from God, but He’s still faithful
- I love Genesis 5:24–Enoch walked with God, and he was not, because God took him. I want it to be said of me that I walked with God. I pray that God would show me how to have that kind of faith and devotion to Him.
- Noah blows me away…the faith it took to build an ark in the middle of the desert, gather all of those animals and family, and then to get in, trust God to SHUT THE DOOR? Lord, may I have the faith of a mustard seed.
- I am always struck by Lot’s wife looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah and getting turned into a pillar of salt. Father, may I not love my past (or my future) more than my present.
- Abraham and Isaac on Mount Moriah. Here’s my son, the one you promised to me. I’m willing to sacrifice him myself. And then, as the knife is about to fall onto Isaac, God provides a ram in the thicket. Lord, may I trust those I love more in Your loving hands than mine.
- I wish I liked genealogies. They seriously bore the tears out of me…and speed up my reading as I skim past them. Lord, please show me the value in these passages. Obviously You didn’t allow them in there to put me to sleep…lol
There is so much more than I can comment on. Anything you’d like to add from Genesis 1-28?